Thursday, February 19, 2009

Tape Can Fix It!

Eden’s new thing is “get the tape”. If something is broken, we get the scotch tape out to fix it. Most commonly, it’s a ripped page in a book; or like the other day, daddy ripped the receipt from the grocery store on accident. So, we HAD to get the tape out to fix it. With that being said, how do you suppose a 21 month old would understand why Nurse Megan, dressed in a blue protective top had to lay a blue protective napkin over her tummy to inject chemo into her port? I, being dad, ask the question, "why all the protective coverings?” Nurse Megan replies, “we don’t want the chemo to touch her skin, or it’ll burn her.” Oh!! That’s comforting. So then why is it okay to inject the stuff directly into her heart?!?!? I sure am glad those doctors are smarter than this ol’ river rat! Seems to me, if you shouldn’t get it on your skin, you ought not to be injecting it into your heart! Don’t drug-heads die from doing that??? I guess in this case, it IS saving my daughter's life.

Mom and Eden had a long, but good day yesterday. Other than early morning, the entire day was spent at the hospital. And yes, Eden got to see Nurse Ashley & Nurse Emily; so she thought that was alright! The girls are still at the hospital now, and should be released late morning or early afternoon. Yesterday though, Selena tells me Eden was her normal self, minus the increased appetite we’ve seen the last couple weeks (she’s now off the steroids). As of 10:00 pm last night, although she hadn’t napped all day, she was laughing and rolling around the hospital bed like she was at a slumber party. (God help me when those days roll around-somehow I can see myself being the waiter at a tea party, dressed in some crazy outfit, with a bunch of giggling munchkins making me the joke of the party – guess some things never change.)

As of now, Eden is in a different phase of treatment and receiving a different variety of drugs. As you might guess, we’re praying her body reacts well to them. Today we need to make a decision on whether to leave Eden’s port accessed so we can inject that skin burning chemo ourselves OR give her the dreaded pokes of chemo in the leg. (I think we’ll be hitting up some of our nurse friends from Washington.) I believe this skin burning chemo is only administered for 4 days; but, she’ll still be on other drugs that will part of our daily routine for probably the next month or two. If I am mistaken with what I am telling you, Selena will correct me later on (this too is part of our daily routine).

You know, we’ve learned the little things in life that used to be so terrible and ruin the day are really pretty minor when we are dealing with something like cancer in our child!! We’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, we truly appreciate all your support and prayers for us! We can’t do this alone.

4 comments:

  1. What a great blog. You keep us all so well informed as to how things are going for little Eden, and her parents as well. I like the TAPE fix-it, I always knew that 'duct' tape can fix about anything. She must take after daddy. :-))
    We pray this new bout with chemo is handled well by her body. We know God has a big hand in all of this healing process, so we continue our prayers and caring with love, Aunt Mary and Uncle Heinz

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were so excited to read the great news yesterday. We will continue to pray for you guys and the new treatments you're about to begin. Praise God for good news! Love, Greg, Maria, Elizabeth and Pete Hanson

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI GUYS! IT'S GREAT YOU CAN KEEP EVERYONE UPDATED ON YOUR BLOG. I PRAISE GOD FOR ALL YOUR GOOD NEWS....THERE IS POWER IN PRAYER! I WAS IN IOWA CITY YESTERDAY WITH A RESIDENT AND ASKED IF EDEN MIGHT BE ADMITTED, BUT THEY TOLD ME NO. SOUNDS LIKE SHE WAS THERE, THO. SORRY I MISSED YOU. I WAS THERE FROM 10:30 - 1:30. TAKE CARE AND KEEP LOOKING UP!DIANA DAVIS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo Kurt, Selena and Edan,

    Wonderful news about the treatments--I like to think that it is 99% of the BEST cells in that sample--YIPPPEEEEE!!! You keep up the great work you do being wonderful parents--oh yes and getting ready for tea parties and NO sleep parties--you are fantastic people. Always in our thoughts and prayers, warmest wishes from Arizona, Judy and Larry Rhamy

    ReplyDelete