Sunday, September 27, 2009

Maintenance

This past Thursday Eden finally reached the ultimate goal of “Maintenance.” This has been the day we have anticipated since Eden was diagnosed over 8 months ago. For our family this means returning to some more normal social activities . . . maybe (we have been warned that cold and flu season is here.) This Maintenance phase is an 84 day cycle that will repeat itself until the spring of 2011. During these phases she will receive 1 lumbar puncture with chemo, chemo via her port once a month, the dreaded steroids, chemo nightly and a new chemo that she will take only once a week. Although she will be receiving oral chemo daily we will only be at the clinic once every 4 weeks. Of course any fevers will require a trip to hospital (hence our continued germ precautions).

The past several months Eden has spent much of her time administering chemo to her babies, giving lumbar punctures, giving us medicine, ordering CBC and the list goes on and on. At times we have enjoyed hearing her insight on the procedures or what she thinks happened to her hair and then there are the moments this role play brings us to tears as no child should have this as their childhood. The weeks without chemo have been excellent and we have noticed big changes . . . she is awakened in the night questioning why daddy took the M&Ms outside, instead of screaming “no pokes.” Note: M&Ms have only been a potty training motivator and not a new craving. Today she spent some time pretending to “dance like a princess”, holding her dress up with her right hand and me twirling her around with the other, such a normal activity. As I think about it I did dress her in a dress today without tears. I always dress her for the clinic in dresses as it seems to hide some of the tubes hanging from her port and the last few months I have had to reassure her that we were not going to the clinic.

We must thank all of you for your prayers regarding Thursday’s treatment. Eden had a Lumbar Puncture and it went so much better than the last three have. The combination of meds was ideal as she did not remember the procedure which is so much better than the past as we have had to hold a very alert girl in a fetal position. The nurses are very accommodating as they even gave her the seasonal flu shot while she was sedated. When she was back in my arms she asked me “mommy, why am I in this room?” So much easier to explain than why they gave you a poke in your back.

7 comments:

  1. I hope your little princess continues to dance for you everyday!! She is such a trooper and my heart goes out to Mom & Dad. Having a child diagnosed with diabetes, I was often told..."I just couldn't ever give my child a shot like that" many times. When it is your child, you understand that you will do what is necessary for them. Prayers and positive thinking for all of you as this journey continues for you. Kathy Hartwick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear things are going better and better. It takes time and it's certainly not a straight road - it has curves and bumps but it will get better. Keep up the good job. Thinking about all of you often. Steve J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the three of you checking out the hospital fountain over the weekend -- I was working the front desk -- it was a treat to see you all together and enjoying the beautiful day! You are terrific parents entrusted with a very special little gal! Continuing to pray for you all. Love, Cindy Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul, Cindy, & Princess Eden,
    I'm so happy to hear things are going well for Eden. I met you on the Sabula trail ride. My son Travis has the brain tumors. He had a chemo treatment today. Has a MRI in two weeks. We pray the tumors shrink. Travis and his wife Kari were married a week ago. It was the most beautiful wedding I have ever seen. And I know it is the start of good things to come. I will keep Eden and your family in my prayers. Travis has a sight on carepages.com under teamingfortravis.
    Christy Helmle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kurt & Selena,
    Sorry about the wrong names in the last update. Trying to figure this thing out.
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Selena, Kurt, and Eden,

    So glad to hear Eden has reached Maintenance! Hopefully you guys can get back to a normal routine. Keep her away from all the germs going around! We have had tons of kids gone at MPHS this week. In fact, MP isn't playing Washington in volleyball tonight partly because Washington doesn't want MP to bring all the sick germs! Take care. I will keep praying!

    Love,
    Jessyca

    ReplyDelete
  7. Selena,

    I just wanted to let you know that you guys are still in my prayers!!! You have one amazing little girl!! I just wanted you to know that I think about you guys often and you are so loved!!!
    Love ya, Matt, Tracy, Tess and Dane Paulsen

    ReplyDelete