Sunday, August 2, 2009

Cinderella is back!!!!

As we mentioned before, Eden has been having pretty typical experiences with this round of chemo. It is amazing how quickly “normal” changes in life. We spent a week without her usual chipper self on the go; but rather, she was lethargic and discontent, therefore, Cinderella reappeared. The movie has been hidden away since her last hospitalization and Eden’s eyes lit up when the princess made her entrance. Needless to say, we can imagine that the “Little People Toys” are happy for the vacation.

The week was filled with lots of food, pokes, tests, and more food. Food is essential during these steroids weeks and occupies the majority of our time. As soon as we stock up on a “craving” it changes. Here is just a little insight for all of you that have not witnessed the effects of steroids (it is okay to laugh we do).

Black beans: during black bean cravings she will eat an entire can. Do you know how many of those little legumes can fit into a can?
Milk: Eden’s dietician has recommended she remain on whole milk . . . several days she has consumed over 50 ounces of whole milk (50 grams of fat just in milk). Kurt is checking into a cow for her next pet.
Asparagus: She loves it. Wednesday was asparagus day and that is all she would eat (I did get her to take a bite of an apple under the condition she could have her bowl of asparagus back.) She ate just over a pound of asparagus before dinner!
Yougurt: Whole milk, plain, unsweetened yogurt. She has consumed a large container (24 oz) each of the past 2 days. We have been at the store the last two mornings before the sun was up just to feed her!
Noodles with butter and cottage cheese (not at the same time) have also filled her bowl many times. Just a few days ago, cottage cheese was her preference over ice cream (yes she is our daughter).

The steroids were discontinued several days ago however her appetite has yet to subside. We will be excited to spend our time doing something else besides eating, cooking or trips to the grocery store (3 trips to HyVee today).

The last couple days the bounce in her step has returned (she went 4 days without walking) and her color has improved. The head of hair that had returned was gone within a matter of days (I don’t remember it going that fast the first time). We are so thankful that she has made such improvements to end the week. We so needed her smile! This week she will have labs checked locally to determine if she can continue treatment on Wednesday. It’s late – heading to bed.

Thanks for checking in!!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. Steroids do wierd things to a body. Hope all continues well. Thinking of the three of you. SteveJ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those are strange cravings!! Don't forget the pool is all your's - if it actually warms up this week. I heard a rumor that it might.
    Blessings, Lynette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Want you to know that we are praying for you here at Coe College where your friend Amanda Drish is a student.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I witnessed her love of the black beans when she was here last fall. It made me laugh then and it makes me laugh now. What a sweet heart she is!!

    Love to All!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for such a wonderful story. I did laugh a bit at the amount of food..an entire pound. I hope Hy Vee is keeping our favorite milk in stock for you. Give Eden my love and soon I would like to come and play with her. If she isn't up to a rabbit hunt w/ me in the garden then maybe she we can simply have a little visit. Take care and please know you are in my thoughts and prayers daily.

    Lots of love.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Selena and Kurt. I am so sorry to learn of the difficult time that you are enduring. I think of you often and wonder how things are going in your life. Please know that Wade and I will pray for you and Eden. I have yet to meet her but am sure with parents like you, she is incredible...and strong. Life has a way of handing each of us our own crosses to bare, some seem heavier than others. I hope that the prayers and thoughts of your friends and family will help ease your pain. I can't help but think of the quote that I tell my children when I see your family picture. "Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (Christopher Robin to Pooh). A.A. Milne.

    Martja

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog and thank you for the updates - it's been a while since I've been to BlogWorld. Know Eden is in our prayers daily. We love you all!
    -The Shikes

    ReplyDelete