Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Daddy Day at the Clinic

Sorry for not getting this posted last night 7/13 . . . snuggling with Eden took priority and I did not get our update posted.

Today Eden was scheduled at the clinic for PEG shots. This was not her normal clinic day and was just an interim visit before her regular clinic visit on Wednesday. Eden and I generally make the journey to the clinic a “girl’s day” but after multiple pokes last week (I think 5 or 6) I needed Kurt to go with us. There is only so many times and ways you can tell her that it going to be okay. Needless to say Kurt is exactly what we all needed today.

Always keeping me laughing . . .We were sitting at a stoplight just a mile from the clinic and Eden, knowing we were getting closer to seeing her friends, and may have been getting a bit impatient said “Go Daddy”. Kurt was accelerating before he realized that the car in front us was not going and the light was still red. Kurt’s response was “give me a break, she knows the lights” - which she does. Fortunately we are able to laugh as Kurt’s perfect driving record was still intact. I think I still would have been laughing had Kurt had to explain to the individual in the car in front of us that his two year old daughter had told him to go . . . and he listened.

Eden arrived to the clinic with a little extra spunk, she was like a kindergartner at school, introducing Dad to all her friends and showing him how good she is with vitals. She did fabulous! The 2 large pokes went as well as could be expected. Thanks to Nurse Sarah for having everything ready for us when we arrived to the treatment room Eden did not have much time to get too upset. I do believe that she was glad to not have her port accessed . . . not sure why that has become such a terrifying experience for her.

We completed our trip to Iowa City with a drive to the river front to “check the river”. Eden is truly Daddy’s Girl and her love for water solidifies it. She so wanted to get into the Iowa River and splash around.



Eden is successfully completing the first week of steroids and thus far we have had not traumatic side effects – Thanks for the prayers on this. Wednesday will be another day at the clinic. Every day is another day closer to the completion of D.I. Thanks for your prayers and support in so many ways.

4 comments:

  1. Hello, I hope you dont mind a stranger posting. I just came across your blog hitting the "next blog" function and started to read. You have a beautiful little girl and it seems a very strong one! I just wanted to say that I will pray for your family that God will keep giving you strength, endurance, and the love and support of friends and family. I also wanted to say, for what it's worth, I just signed up for a cancer research fundraiser walk yesterday and plan to carry a list with me of people I know who have fought the disease --to remind me why Im walking. I know I dont know you, but I hope you wont mind if I include your family's name on my list.
    Deut 8:7
    God bless,
    Beth in Massachusetts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary, Kurt and Selena!! I hope that you 2 can take just a moment or two to yourselves. You do such a good job taking care of Eden..you deserve it!! I wish I were closer and I would come snuggle her!!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI - accessing the port can be a little bit of an "attention getter" at times. As time goes forward it seems to get a little numb so it does seem to be less of an issue. EVERYONE in chemo makes a face when they have their port accessed-even us tough guys! And Kurt,keep listening to the women in your lfe and you'll do fine. After all we always get the last word - yes dear! Keep up the good work and stay positive - good things come to good people. Thinking of all of you. Steve J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you always with prayers and love in our hearts for all 3 of you. We pray that things go well for the next month of treatments. Enjoyed the picture of Eden by the water. Is she going to be your fishing partner sometime down the road???? :-) Hang in there for all good comes to those who wait upon the Lord. Love and hugs, Uncle Heinz and Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete