Wednesday, March 10, 2010

In Jesus Arms

I walked into Eden’s room this morning and her first words were “Can we read the Bear Book?” Of course! Looking at the clock I knew we would be a few minutes late for our appointment but she had not asked for Dad (whom had to be at the office at 6am) or for breakfast (also not an option due to the procedures she was to endure) so I was all for letting her choose how to start the day . We finished reading Snow Friends, a great read, and she said to me, “I asked Jesus.” I wasn’t quite sure what she was referring to so she expanded “I asked Jesus to hold me in his arms.” In a conversation I had with Eden last week when we were discussing sleeping in her own bed, she expressed her concerns of being all by herself, I told her she was never alone and that she could just ask Jesus to hold her. Amazing that she did sleep in her bed all night and the echoing of my comment was a week later and on treatment day. It truly was a God thing!

As anticipated, we arrived to the clinic a couple minutes late. We were greeted by our favorite receptionist and one of the most amazing people I have met through this journey, Miss Donna. I knew as I walked through the door, it was going to be an okay day. We filled our time playing with My Little Ponies and reading books. Eden’s labs indicate her tolerance to her current level of chemo and as we expected the chemo was increased by 25%. Although we have been aware that the current dose of chemo is not achieving the desired blood counts to fight the cancer cells we are aprehensive of the new dosage. Eden received her monthly chemo and then her LP. The lumbar puncture went as well as could be expected. The sedation left Eden with no recollection of the procedure and I spent much of the afternoon laughing. The drugs left her unbalanced, slurred speech and confused. She was hysarical claiming "I don't want to go home, I want to stay at the hospital." She was unconsolable one moment and laughing the next. Unlike her last LP she has avioded all vomiting (a much better drive home).

Thanks for all the prayers . . . we were held in his arms.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that! I must say I am glad to hear we aren't the only parents that had a kid who cried not wanting to go home after an LP. Crazy, huh? :) Eden is such a sweetheart and has amazing parents. What a beautiful picture, He held you both yesterday!

    Christie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa. Thanks for the great story. I read it this morning before the kids left for school and I've thought about it, and all of you all day today. Reminds me of when I worked at our church preschool and we'd sing a song during tornado drills:

    "Jesus says I'm with you,
    You're never alone, you're never alone.
    Jesus says I'm with you,
    You're never alone, my friend"

    Do it a little sing-songy and I think you've got a bed time lullaby!
    Bless you all!
    <3, Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the great story. It's good to hear things are going so well. Eden sure is a trooper as are her parents. Steve J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing and wonderful story. Such a brave, beautiful little girl. Thanks for sharing your journey and know I keep you all in my prayers. Kathy Hartwick, Bloomfield

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey guys! I'm so happy to hear how well Eden is doing. That little body has got to be tough for everything she's been through. A big hug to you Selena! You're a great mom!

    Love ya,
    Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful story! How good to understand God's presence with us at such a young age! We love you guys!

    Tony & Cari

    ReplyDelete
  7. We shed tears when we read your blog. What a darling precious daughter you have. God is walking every step of this journey with the three of you. And He is holding all of you in His arms. You are in our thoughts and prayers each and every day. May you enjoy the spring and the rebirth and newness of all around us. We send our love and hugs, Uncle Heinz & Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete